Frequently Asked Questions
- Is the City National Visa® Gift Card a credit card?
- Do I need to activate my Visa Gift Card?
- How do I use my Visa Gift Card?
- Where can I use my Visa Gift Card?
- What is the difference between a Visa Gift Card and a Gift Card from a merchant location such as Starbucks, Home Depot, etc.?
- How do I check my balance?
- Why should I register my Visa Gift Card and where do I register it?
- How long can I use my Visa Gift Card? Does it expire?
- Can I add money to my Visa Gift Card or use it at an ATM or to get a cash advance?
- What if my Visa Gift Card balance is less than the purchase price? Will my purchase be declined?
- What will happen if I need to return an item purchased with my Visa Gift Card?
- Will I receive a statement for my Visa Gift Card?
REPLACEMENT VISA GIFT CARDS
Purchasing Visa Gift Cards
- Who can purchase a Visa Gift Card?
- How do I purchase a Visa Gift Card?
- What are the fees for purchasing a Visa Gift Card?
- Am I able to personalize or add a message on the Visa Gift Card?
Receipt of Visa Gift Cards
- Where will the Visa Gift Card be sent?
- How long does it take to receive a City National Visa Gift Card?
- Will any materials or instructions be included with the Visa Gift Card?
No, it's a prepaid Visa Gift Card that carries a fixed U.S. dollar amount between $10 to $1,000, as determined by the giver at the time of purchase. MetaBank is the issuer of the Card under a sales arrangement with City National Bank. The funds available on the Card are held by MetaBank. MetaBank is an FDIC insured member institution and the funds available on the Card are considered deposits for FDIC insurance purposes.
The Visa Gift Card is activated upon purchase, which is when the Card is funded. The recipient will not need to activate the Gift Card again.
Be sure to always know your balance before making a purchase. Have your card available when you're ready to pay at a merchant, over the phone or online. You may set up a Personalized Identification Number (“PIN”) by calling (844) 309-0719.
The Visa Gift Card is valid in the U.S. only and can be used anywhere Visa debit cards are accepted, including over the phone and online. Card cannot be used to make foreign purchases online. Card cannot be used to obtain cash at ATMs or obtain cash back in any purchase transaction.
The City National Visa Gift Card can be used throughout the U.S. anywhere Visa debit cards are accepted. Store-issued Gift Cards are limited to only one store or a group of stores, depending on the card issued.
You can check the balance on your Visa Gift Card any of the following ways:
- Visit ManageMyCard.com and:
- Click on “Check My Balance”; or
- Click on “Log In” after creating an account and registering your card. You are encouraged to create an account and to register your card in order to conveniently check your balance and transactions.
- Call (844) 309-0719.
Most merchants cannot check your balance, so you should always know how much money you have remaining on your Card.
You are strongly encouraged to register your Visa Gift Card by visiting ManageMyCard.com and clicking on “Create My Account” under Manage Your Card. You will be prompted to enter a username, password and card information. You must have a registered Gift Card in order to:
- Request a replacement card if the Gift Card expires or is lost or stolen; and
- View balance and account activity on ManageMyCard.com.
Your Card’s expiration date, or “Valid Thru” date, is printed on the front of the Card. You will not be able to use your Card after expiration, but you may request a replacement Card at no charge. Your Card must be registered at ManageMyCard.com in order to request a replacement. Upon expiration, you must contact Client Services at (844) 309-0719 to access the remaining balance on your Card. The available funds on your Card do not expire.
You are encouraged to use your Card at least once every 12 months after it is purchased. Beginning the 13th consecutive month of no activity on your Card, a $4.95 per month inactivity fee will be assessed and deducted from the Card balance as long as there are funds remaining and the Card remains inactive. See the Cardholder Agreement - Gift for fee information.
No, you cannot add money to a Visa Gift Card and you cannot use it at an ATM or to get a cash advance.
If the purchase amount is greater than the balance in the Visa Gift Card account, your Card may be declined. To avoid this, tell the merchant up front how much you'd like to pay with your Card. If the merchant allows it, you could use another form of payment for the remaining amount.
Depending upon the merchant's return policies, the merchant may credit your Visa Gift Card, provide you a cash refund, or issue you a store credit.
No, you can view the balance and transactions on your Card by logging in to your account at ManageMyCard.com or by calling (844) 309-0719. You are encouraged to create an account and register your Card to conveniently check your balance and transactions and to prevent against loss or theft.
REPLACEMENT VISA GIFT CARDS
If you have registered your Visa Gift Card online, call Client Services at (844) 309-0719 as soon as you can, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Unregistered Visa Gift Cards will not be replaced.
If your Visa Gift Card expires and you still have available funds on the Card, call Client Services at (844) 309-0719 to request a replacement card at no charge. Your Card must be registered at ManageMyCard.com in order to request a replacement.
PURCHASING VISA GIFT CARDS
Visa Gift Cards are available for purchase only by City National clients who maintain a personal (consumer) account.
If you have a personal account with City National Bank, simply contact your City National banker or Relationship Manager. Gift Cards will be shipped directly to you or a designated recipient. You can expect receipt within 10 to 15 business days. Gift Cards can be loaded in any whole U.S. dollar amount you choose, ranging from $10 to $1,000 per card.
There is a purchase fee of $3.00 per card. An additional $2.00 per card is charged for shipping and handling.
No, personalized Visa Gift Cards are not available at this time.
RECEIPT OF VISA GIFT CARDS
The Visa Gift Card will be shipped according to your mailing instructions – either to you (the purchaser) or the recipient.
Once the Visa Gift Card order is submitted, you can expect receipt within 10 to 15 business days.
The Visa Gift Card will come with a card carrier in which the card can be placed, and which contains usage and registration instructions. The Cardholder Agreement – Gift with terms and conditions is available at ManageMyCard.com or by calling (844) 309-0719.