Reading is The way up
Our Multifaceted Literacy Program
At City National, we recognize investing in the community offers the greatest possible returns, particularly when efforts are focused on youth. These young people are our future leaders, entrepreneurs, clients and colleagues. Our belief is that a good education and the ability to learn throughout one's career are vital to success in today's world- and it all starts with reading.
That's why we created Reading is The way up®. Through this multifaceted literacy program, the company invests in:
- School libraries with gifts of books;
- K-12 schools with teacher grants to enhance innovative literacy efforts;
- Community partnerships focused on enhancing literacy.
- Colleagues with paid time off to read to students during the workday (up to three hours per month).
Since 2002, through Reading is The way up, City National Bank:
- Donated more than 115,000 books to California, New York, Tennessee, Georgia and Nevada school and classroom libraries;
- Awarded more than 640 teacher grants totaling more than $500,000 to enhance literacy;
- Reached more than 100,000 children in the areas where we work, live and do business.
- Supported colleagues who have volunteered to read to children;
- Received the 2005 President's Volunteer Service Award, the 2005 Corporate Philanthropy Award from the Los Angeles Public Library and the 2006 Corporate Award from the Getty House Foundation;
- Was honored as the 2007 Corporate Visionary Partner by The Wonder of Reading for supporting children's literacy programs;
- Received the Hugh O'Brien Youth Leadership Corporate Citizen Award in 2007; and
- Was acknowledged in 2009 by the City Council of Los Angeles with an official proclamation initiated by Councilmember Tom LaBonge in appreciation for City National's support of local schools.
At City National, we understand our responsibility for making a difference in the communities where we live and work. Please join us in helping young people discover the joy of reading and to inspire a lifelong love of books.