Wealth Preservation and Transfer
Wealth Preservation and Transfer1
Preserving Your Life's Work
Wealth accumulated over a lifetime should be safeguarded and transferred according to your wishes. City National's experts design wealth-transfer plans that achieve the essential goals that are a part of all intelligent strategies:
- Minimize or eliminate transfer taxes
- Minimize or eliminate capital gains taxes when your heirs liquidate hard assets after your passing
- Avoid the probate process
- Ensure your beneficiaries receive what is due to them
- Designate a qualified trustee or executor with the time and expertise to carry out your wishes
- Protect your assets from unforeseen health, personal and business risks
All Estates Need a Plan
Some people believe estate plans are unnecessary if their wealth is modest, but the reality is that almost everyone needs a plan to mitigate taxes. Your estate includes the equity in your home, your everyday and retirement accounts, proceeds from life insurance, any foreign assets, coming inheritances and much more, all of which are potentially vulnerable to federal (and/or state) transfer taxation, and the court costs and frustration incurred when administering an unplanned estate. If you don’t have a plan, the government has a burdensome one for you, replete with difficulties, wasted time and maddening frustration for someone who is not a professional fiduciary.
Our Expertise is Yours to Use
City National’s experienced professionals utilize a disciplined 6-step process to evaluate your individual situation, help you define your objectives and design a wealth transfer plan tailored to your specific goals. If you already have a plan, we will review it in light of your current needs and new regulations before we suggest any revisions, enhancements or additions. Our suggestions range from straightforward or highly sophisticated, depending entirely on your personal situation and what you want (and need) to accomplish.
Tax and estate law, and your personal circumstances are always changing. We review your plan regularly, offering new strategies as your wishes or circumstances evolve, to ensure you aren’t caught off-guard by unexpected changes. We believe wealth planning must be dynamic without being unnecessarily complicated, and we want you to achieve, retain and transfer your wealth leveraging all available tools.
- Are Not insured by the FDIC or any other federal government agency
- Are Not deposits of or guaranteed by a Bank or any Bank Affiliate
- May Lose Value
- Brokerage services provided by City National Securities, Inc., member FINRA/SIPC, a wholly-owned subsidiary of City National Bank.