City National’s Safe Check Account is an alternative to a traditional checking account, designed to help you avoid spending more than you have in your account. Safe Check offers a low monthly maintenance fee with no minimum balance requirement.
Access features of the Safe Check account include a debit card for day-to-day or ATM transactions, online banking with Online Bill Payment through City National Online and mobile banking, which includes Mobile Check Deposit to deposit checks using your smart phone or tablet.1
To help you manage your account:
- We won’t authorize an ATM or one-time debit card transaction when there is not enough money in your account at the time you use your card;
- We won’t pay a check or other debit2 if it would cause an overdraft in your account, and no NSF or overdraft fee will be assessed;
For more information view the Frequently Asked Questions.
- No NSF or overdraft fees assessed on the account
- Unlimited transactions with your City National Check Card
- Online Banking and Bill Payment through City National Online
- Mobile Banking, which includes Mobile Check Deposit
- Paperless statements available
Rates & Fees
- Required Opening Deposit:$25
- Monthly maintenance fee: $5
- Monthly maintenance fee waived with Direct Deposits totally $250 or more per statement period
- Per-Item fee: $1.00 per Online Bill Payment draft3 (after the first 5 per month)
- City National Visa Check Card
- Telephone Banking - Access to account information and transfers
- City National Online - View your account information, download to Quicken or Money, make transfers and pay bills online.
- Automated sign up for online statements
Other restrictions apply. See City National's Account Agreement and Disclosure and applicable Fee Schedule for additional terms and conditions.
- Mobile Check Deposits are subject to verification and may not be available for immediate withdrawal. Deposit limits and account eligibility apply. Select clients can request a higher deposit limit. Mobile Check Deposit is available for iPhone®, iPad® and Android™ phones and tablets only.
- Some exceptions apply.
- Payments you authorize through Online Bill Payment may be made by a draft drawn on the account and mailed to the payee if the payee you set up is not recognized by our system as able to receive the payment electronically. Drafts issued will show as checks on your statement. The account does not permit you to write checks. If you do write a check (including a temporary or counter check) in violation of the account provision, it may be paid but will be counted and charged as if it was on Online Bill Payment draft. Your account may also be closed.
iPhone and iPad are registered trademarks of Apple Inc.
Android is a trademark of Google Inc.