CREDIT, DEBIT, AND ATM CARD SAFETY
The negative effects of credit card fraud and identity theft are more than monetary. Although victims may be protected from financial losses, the inconvenience and time lost in repairing the damage to one’s credit rating and its effects on employment, borrowing capability, and other aspects of life can be overwhelming.
The following tips may help safeguard against credit card fraud and identity theft:
CREDIT Card and PIN Safety
- Report lost or stolen cards immediately.
- Sign your card on the signature panel as soon as you receive it.
- Protect your cards as if they were cash.
- Make a list of all your credit and debit cards and their numbers and store it in a safe place.
- Make a list of all of your credit and debit card issuers' phone numbers in a handy location, such as your smartphone.
- Don't leave your credit cards in the glove compartment of your car.
- When selecting a PIN, avoid using information that can be tied to in-wallet information (e.g., birth date, Social Security Number, telephone number, etc.).
- Never write down your PIN or store it within your cell phone. Memorize it or store in a more secure location. Never use your PIN as a password.
- Use caution if you are ever asked for your PIN over the phone or by email.
- Always make sure to get your card back after every in-store purchase. If any activity during the transaction concerns you, call your financial institution.
- Always check sales vouchers for the correct purchase amount before you sign them, and keep copies of your vouchers and ATM receipts. Always check your billing statement and verify the amounts of your purchases.
- Don't volunteer any personal information when you use your credit card, other than by displaying personal ID as requested by a merchant.
- Never lend your credit or debit card to anyone. You are responsible for its use.
Remember: City National Bank will never ask you to divulge your credit or debit card PIN over the phone or by email.
- Minimize your time at the ATM. Prepare in advance by filling out your deposit slip and endorsing the checks "for deposit only" to your account.
- Park as close as possible to the ATM and have your card out and ready to use immediately.
- Avoid using ATM machines that are not well lit, on street corners with easy approachability from cars, or near blind spots. Use ATMs that are close to the center of a building and clear from shrubbery.
- Be aware of your surroundings as you leave the ATM. If you believe you are being followed, call the police.
- When you approach an ATM, be aware of your surroundings, especially in unfamiliar areas. If you observe any suspicious person or unusual activity nearby, leave. At night, do not use ATMs that are not well lit.
- Consider going to an ATM with someone you know and trust. Do not accept assistance from strangers when using an ATM.
- Prevent others from seeing you enter your PIN at the ATM. Use your body to shield the keypad from others’ view.
- If you notice anything suspicious or a problem arises after you begin your transaction, cancel the transaction, remove your card from the ATM, and leave.
- When your transaction is complete, retrieve your card, receipt, and cash from the ATM and promptly leave. Put your cash away and wait until you are in a safe place to verify it. Do not leave your receipt in the ATM; it contains important account information. Compare your records with your account statement.
- When using a drive-up ATM, lock your doors and roll up all the windows except the window you are using. If your engine is running, be sure your car is in "park" or "neutral" and the brake is set.
- Do not let anyone else use your card. Do not disclose your PIN to anyone else, even if the person is offering assistance. Do not write your PIN on your card. If you lose your card, or it is stolen, or your PIN is lost or stolen, report the loss at once.
City National Card Alerts
Keep your City National Bank check card and credit cards safer with City National Card Alerts, available for most City National Visa® personal and business cards.*
- Timely updates on your City National credit card and check card activity.
- Monitor transactions in near-real-time**
- Receive alerts via text message or email.
- Detect fraudulent activity on your credit card accounts quickly, and report it immediately.
- Additional fraud protection. Learn more»
* Not available on ATM-only Cards and Equity Cards at this time.
** Actual time to receive an alert is dependent on wireless service and/or coverage within your wireless service area.