Delaware Trust Services
Tax Savings & Flexibility1
Through City National's Wilmington, Delaware, office, we offer the unique tax benefits and flexibility of a Delaware trust when serving as corporate trustee. Whether moving an existing trust or creating one, a Delaware trust addresses specific objectives within multi-generational planning, asset protection and tax savings. The benefits are compelling:
- Potential exemption from state income tax for accumulated earnings and capital gains2
- Confidentiality through minimal court filing requirements and, if desired, limited beneficiary access to account statements
- Spendthrift provisions that may offer opportunities for asset protection from certain creditors' claims
- Specialty trusts such as total return and dynasty trusts
The Delaware Advantage
Delaware's Court of Chancery continues to lead the way in areas of multi-generational planning, asset protection and tax savings with more than 250 years of developing legal precedent in trust law. The court operates under the premise that a grantor should have the legal right to control the investment, management and distribution decisions for their trust, and the court ensures a great deal of flexibility to a grantor in ensuring their wishes are followed. Regardless of your state of residency, a Delaware trust can provide tremendous value within your estate planning.
- City National Bank its affiliates and subsidiaries, as a matter of policy, does not give tax, accounting, regulatory or legal advice. Rules in the areas of law, tax, and accounting are subject to change and open to varying interpretations. You should consult with your other advisors on the tax, accounting and legal implications of actions you may take based on any strategies presented taking into account your own particular circumstances.
- If there are no remainder beneficiaries residing in Delaware.