Reduce the Risk of Check Fraud
The Positive Pay service is an effective tool in the fight against check fraud. Your accounting team will send us check details as they are issued. Then, as checks are presented for payment, City National compares the issued check details against the presented check information. In the case of a mismatch, you are presented with an exception item, including image, which requires a same day decision to either pay or return. With the addition of Payee Verify, payee names are also compared.
How it works
- As you issue checks, you create a data file with the issue date, serial number and dollar amount of each check. The payee name is included on the file when using the added protection of the Payee Verify feature. You then electronically send us your issue (register) data file.
- We utilize your issue data to verify the checks that have posted to your account. Non-matching items are reported via a Positive Pay Exceptions Report for your review and payment decision.
- The Positive Pay Exceptions Report is available to you early each morning via our online Treasury Net Positive Pay service.
- Payee Verify mismatch items are included on your exceptions report when using this additional fraud protection tool.
- Simply make your pay or no pay decisions online to return checks that are not valid.
- Checks presented over-the-counter for payment at our banking offices are matched against your issue data before payment.
- Dramatically reduce the possibility of check fraud
- Enhance audit controls with greater detail on check disbursements.
- Prevents duplicate checks from paying, virtually eliminating a key tactic in check counterfeiting.
- Checks presented at a City National branch are also verified, preventing fraud at the teller window.
- End-to-end control - Decide whether to pay or return exception items.
- Ease of management - Decision exception items and upload issue information using Treasury Net.
- Top quality prevention - Add Payee Verify to include the payee name as one of the pay criteria, ensuring only your designated payees receive payment.
- Customized controls - Specify items that are stale-dated or above a value threshold to be included on the exceptions report.
Fight Back Against Check Fraud
Check fraud is on the rise due to today's advanced technology that makes it easier than ever to copy and counterfeit your checks. City National Bank's Positive Pay service is an effective tool in the fight against check fraud. Our Payee Verify feature offers additional protection by identifying payee name suspects. With Positive Pay, we work with you to verify that you have actually issued the checks that post to your account.
To sign up for a Treasury Management service or for more information, please contact us or call Treasury Management Client Services between 5:30 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. (PT) Monday through Friday (800) 599-0020 select option 2.