Sustainability & the Environment
Sustainability Is Good Business
Going green? We want you to know that City National is too. City National recognizes that our most valuable assets include the communities in which we live and work. Creating a cleaner and brighter future environment through sustainable or green business practices is an ongoing goal at City National. Going Green is The way up®.
City National's plans for protecting our natural resources encompass all aspects of our business. We are committed to growing our business in an environmentally sustainable way, in addition to creating a healthier environment for our clients and colleagues, for the overall community and for our planet.
Our Green Ladder Council – Making Green A Reality
At City National we recognize that we must take steps to minimize our impact on the environment for future generations. Our Green Ladder Council, which is comprised of executives and colleagues throughout various departments of the bank, is responsible for finding opportunities to build and operate environmentally friendly projects and green buildings.
Working closely with the Green Ladder Council, City National has set the following goals toward environmental sustainability. We are tracking each goal and will report our progress on a regular basis.
- Track and reduce our total bank-wide carbon footprint.
- Continuously increase our use of renewable/reusable resources.
- Create a healthier environment for our colleagues, clients and the communities where we do business.
We're Making Real Progress
City National continues to search for new and innovative ways to achieve our sustainability goals. We've already made significant progress. Below are some examples of what we've already done and what we're still in the process of doing.
Energy and Water Conservation
- One new water treatment system at the bank's Operations Center saves more than 1 million gallons of water per year.
- Solar panels at our Riverside location save over 77,000 kilowatt-hours (kWh) annually.
- Automatic shutdown of computers after hours saves over 1.2 million kWh annually.
- Recent air conditioning upgrades at two locations save approximately 164,000 kWh annually.
- Our new construction and renovations are designed to increase natural lighting in offices and special window shades and tinting mitigate heat gain.
- Currently City National spends more than $650,000 per year on public transportation subsidies for colleagues, reducing the number of vehicles on the road.
- Twenty-two videoconferencing sites reduce the need for colleagues to travel.
- City National makes local purchases whenever possible in order to reduce emissions related to transportation.
Waste Minimization and Recycling
- City National recycles more than 1.3 million pounds of paper and cardboard per year.
- In all of our offices we are discontinuing the use of Styrofoam cups and have reduced our use of plastic trash can liners – saving more than 93,600 liners per year.
- Company-wide recycling programs are in place to support colleagues' responsible disposal and reuse of materials, such as batteries. City National recycles more than 20,000 pounds of electronic equipment per year.
- Over 8 million printed pages per year have been eliminated through online reporting and eDocuments.
- All facilities now utilize filtered domestic water, replacing plastic bottled water.
- Company premises feature Energy Star appliances and many locations have received Energy Star ratings.
- State-of-the-art lighting and motion sensors in several locations save approximately 653,000 kWh annually.
- Most City National facilities feature special low-toxicity paint, "Green Guard" certified furniture and recyclable carpeting.
- Cleaning crews are provided nontoxic cleaning products and recycled paper supplies.
- We are designing all of our new projects to attain LEED certification including 400 Park Avenue, New York and 100 Montgomery, San Francisco.