Sustainability & the Environment
Going green? City National is, too. We recognize that our most valuable assets include the communities in which we live and work. Creating a cleaner environment and brighter future through sustainable and green business practices is our ongoing goal.
City National's plan for protecting our natural resources encompasses all aspects of our business. We commit to growing our business in an environmentally sustainable way for our clients, colleagues, overall community and our planet.
WE'RE MAKING REAL PROGRESS
City National continues to search for new and innovative ways to achieve our sustainability goals, and we have already made significant progress.
Below are some examples of what we've achieved and what we're still in the process of doing.
Energy and Water Conservation
- One new water treatment system at the bank's Operations Center saves more than 1 million gallons of water per year.
- Solar panels at our Riverside location save over 77,000 kilowatthours (kWh) annually.
- Automatic shutdown of computers after hours saves over 1.2 million kWh annually.
- Recent air conditioning upgrades at two locations save approximately 164,000 kWh annually.
- Our new construction and renovations increase natural lighting in offices, and special window shades and tinting mitigate heat gain.
- Currently, City National spends more than $600,000 per year on public transportation subsidies for colleagues, reducing the amount of road congestion and emissions.
- Twenty-two videoconferencing sites reduce the need for colleagues to travel.
- City National makes local purchases whenever possible, in order to reduce emissions related to transportation.
Waste Minimization and Recycling
- City National recycles more than 1.3 million pounds of paper and cardboard per year.
- Our offices have discontinued the use of Styrofoam cups, and reduced the use of plastic trash can liners – saving more than 93,600 liners per year.
- Companywide recycling programs are in place to support colleagues' responsible disposal and reuse of materials, such as batteries. City National recycles more than 20,000 pounds of electronic equipment per year.
- Over 8 million printed pages per year have been eliminated through online reporting and eDocuments.
- All facilities now utilize filtered domestic water, replacing plastic bottled water.
- Company premises feature Energy Star appliances and many locations have received Energy Star ratings.
- State-of-the-art lighting and motion sensors in several locations save approximately 653,000 kWh annually.
- Most City National facilities feature special low-toxicity paint, "Green Guard" certified furniture and recyclable carpeting.
- Cleaning crews are provided nontoxic cleaning products and recycled paper supplies.
- We are designing all of our new projects to attain LEED certifications.