City National Bank and Barnes & Noble Team Up Again For its 7th Annual Gift of Literacy Holiday Book Drive
December 01, 2014
Bank to Match Book Donations for Local Schools up to $100,000
LOS ANGELES – City National Bank is partnering once again with Barnes & Noble this holiday season for a multi-state book drive that will celebrate the joy of reading and benefit area schools in California, Nevada, New York, and Nashville, Tennessee. This is the 7th consecutive year that City National and Barnes & Noble have partnered in its holiday book drive.
This holiday program is part of the world’s largest bookseller’s annual Holiday Book Drive, which runs from November 1 through January 1. To participate in the book drive, holiday shoppers can purchase a book at select Barnes & Noble stores and donate it as part of this holiday program. People can also drop off a new book to any City National branch as well as go online at www.readingisthewayup.org and donate money for the purchase of new books.
City National’s Reading is The way up® literacy program will match each book donated between December 1 and January 1, up to $100,000 and the books will be distributed to area schools in the bank’s footprint early next year.
“The holiday season is a special time of year, especially when it involves children,” said Carolyn Rodriguez, vice president and program administrator for City National Bank. “Barnes & Noble is a great community partner and one we enjoy teaming up with each holiday season. Together we have donated close to a half million books in the past six years and we look forward to many more years helping children develop a love of reading.”
Seventeen Barnes & Noble book stores in California, Nevada, New York, and Nashville, Tennessee, are participating in this year’s holiday book drive. The stores include:
- Barnes & Noble, Los Angeles (189 The Grove Drive)
- Barnes & Noble, Long Beach (7651 Carson Street)
- Barnes & Noble, Escondido (810 West Valley Parkway)
- Barnes & Noble, Corte Madera (313 Town Center)
- Barnes & Noble, La Jolla (8650 Genesee Avenue)
- Barnes & Noble, Mira Mesa (10775 Westview Parkway)
- Barnes & Noble, Newport Beach (401 Newport Center Drive, #A215)
- Barnes & Noble, Point Loma (Bookstar, 3150 Rosecrans Place)
- Barnes & Noble, Rancho Bernardo (11744 Carmel Mountain Road)
- Barnes & Noble, Riverside (3485 Tyler Street)
- Barnes & Noble, San Jose (2200 Eastridge Loop)
- Barnes & Noble, Walnut Creek (1149 South Main Street)
- Barnes & Noble, Reno (5555 S. Virginia Street)
- Barnes & Noble, Las Vegas (8915 West Charleston Blvd.)
- Barnes & Noble, Las Vegas (2191 N. Rainbow Blvd.)
- Barnes & Noble, New York City (160 East 54th Street)
- Barnes & Noble, Brentwood (1701 Mallory Lane)
About Reading is The way up®
Originally established to help improve the education of California’s future leaders, City National in April 2002 launched the multi-faceted Reading is The way up initiative to restock the state’s school library system. The program has since been expanded to include all areas where the bank has a presence. Since its inception, the award-winning program has:
- Donated more than 225,000 books to California, Nevada, New York, Nashville, Tennessee, and Atlanta, Georgia school libraries.
- Awarded over $800,000 to teachers at elementary, middle and high schools for creative literacy projects.
- Received the 2005 President’s Volunteer Service Award, the 2005 Corporate Philanthropy Award from the Los Angeles Public Library, the 2006 Corporate Award from the Getty House Foundation, the Hugh O’Brien Youth Leadership Corporate Citizen Award, and honored as the 2007 Corporate Visionary Partner by the Wonder of Reading.
- Received the 2013 Innovations Reading Prize Award presented by the National Book Foundation. Received the 2013 Outstanding Corporation of the Year Award presented by the Clark County School District-Community Partnership Program in Las Vegas, NV.
- Received the 2013 Angel Light Foundation Award for excellence in community service and educational outreach presented by the Angel Light Academy in Orange County, CA.
The Reading is the Way Up Fund is a 501(c)(3) administered by the California Community Foundation. For more information, visit www.readingisthewayup.org.
About City National
City National Corporation (NYSE: CYN) has $32 billion in assets. The company’s wholly owned subsidiary, City National Bank, provides banking, investment and trust services through 77 offices, including 16 full-service regional centers, in Southern California, the San Francisco Bay Area, Nevada, New York City, Nashville and Atlanta. City National and its investment affiliates manage or administer $61.2 billion in client investment assets, including $49.1 billion under direct management.
City National has eight branch offices in Nevada, including four in Las Vegas and one each in North Las Vegas, Reno, Carson City and Minden.
For more information about City National, visit the company’s Website at cnb.com